Can off-grid renewable energy systems get feed-in tariff payments?

In theory, off-grid enewable energy systems can still qualify for feed-in tariffs (FITs). This is because, as with a grid-connected system, they will be replacing or avoiding the use of fossil fuels. In fact, if an off-grid renewable energy system is used instead of a diesel generator the carbon savings will be higher than for replacing grid electricity.

However, to get the tariff you would need monitoring equipment that meets the standards required by Ofgem. To do this it is likely that all the electricity will need to go through an inverter - this would conflict with running some services (e.g. lighting) directly from the DC battery store, which may be better for some small systems.

Also, bear in mind when estimating costs and income that you would not get the export tariff payments, which in a grid-connected system are worth about two-thirds as much as the FIT payments.

A small number of installers accredited under the MCS (Microgeneration Certification Scheme) will have experience of installing off-grid systems that qualify for feed-in tariffs (see for example Wind and Sun).

Study at CAT: Our University Courses

Graduate School of the Environment - Sustainability Masters Courses

Have more questions? Get in touch!
use our form or call 01654 705989

Related questions